Q: Car cannot accelerate past 20 mph - 1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL

The car has gone around 230,000 miles and it sat for several years. I've been trying to drive it lately, but the car cannot seem to accelerate past 20 mph. What could be the cause? What kind of repairs do you advise to be done?

Hello. You should have the fuel system injection checked to make sure the fuel distributor is working as it should and the fuel filter is not clogged with bad fuel varnish. I would suggest having fuel replaced with fresh fuel and filter replaced to start and go from there. You may need fuel system components replaced. To have this checked, a qualified pro from YourMechanic can inspect the acceleration problem and pinpoint what corrections should be made.

3. Car cannot accelerate past 20 mph - 1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL