Q: Car backfired then stalls. Engine light is on plus the sports driving mode comes on.

things i referenced to doing to that 1999 cadillac caterasport v6 was change a new cadillac converter,a new fuel filter,6 new spark plugs, a new boot distributer wires,new right and left ignition coils,a new crank position sensor. Have any good 1999 cadillac catera references to fix the driveabilty.

Hi there. Check the engine’s camshaft position sensor and the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). The camshaft position sensor could be damaged or burned up to cause the engine to backfire and stall out. The MAF sensor could be dirty or it could be damaged causing the engine to backfire and stall out. If the sensors are good, then the engine may have a vacuum leak either on the intake or on a vacuum hose. Check all of the vacuum hoses including the brake booster to see if there is a leak, and if there is a damaged part or hose, then they would need replaced and retested for the backfiring and stalling condition.

If you need further assistance with your vehicle backfiring and stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.