Q: Can you drive a car that had the ARP head studs honed and the val

A guy said that he had New rings new gaskets new oil pan gasket new Pistons new head gasket ARP head studs honed and the valves were all redone because he blew a rod or valve or something and that it has 200k miles on frame and that he changes the oil every 100 miles and at 500 miles change oil and filter and that threw me off so i was wondering is it drivable and when should the oil andfilter be replaced

A: Hi there: Let's simplify some of the t...

Hi there:

Let's simplify some of the things he's suggesting. If he broke a connecting rod on his 1.6 liter engine, that probably caused a lot of internal engine damage to occur. Installing new pistons, piston rings, oil pan gaskets and installing new head studs (ARP are nice but irrelevant here) and honed the cylinders (a needed job anytime pistons or rods are replaced) and rebuilt the valves; that's just the basics for any engine rebuild. If he also installed new valve guides, new timing belt, camshaft, crankshaft, main bearings and all new cylinder head hardware, and the engine was never "windowed" (meaning the broken rod broke through the engine block) then the rebuilt engine should be good. Without knowing if all that other work was completed, it's impossible to tell you whether or not the repairs are good. In regards to oil changes, during a break in period, replacing every 100 with filters at 500 is a bit excessive (for a street motor). Once broken in correctly, it should be every 3,000 for oil and filter on any rebuilt engine.