Q: Popping noise at low speed turns

I hear a popping noise when I make low speed turns, such as parking. I do not hear it when driving around normally. Occasionally it will make a noise when going over a speed bump. CV boots and ball joints seem to look good. Any other ideas on what this could be? No steering issues. No smells. The noise sounds similar to tapping on a desk. If I am parked and turn the wheel, I do not hear it. I only hear it when it is in drive or reverse.

Hi. This is a tricky one. In my experience, I have seen lower control arms cause this problem. The lower control arms have rubber bushings in them and sometimes those rubber bushings crack or become dry rotten and causing a noise. There also could be a problem with the sway bar links going bad. When sway bar links go bad, they have either became loose or lost its lubrication causing it to make noise. If you would like to have this checked, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the popping noise and follow through with repairs.

3. Popping noise at low speed turns