Q: I have 2009 Toyota Highlander, LIMITED.

Dear Mechanic,

I will appreciate to know the cause of the problems my vehicle is encountering. my vehicle is 2009 Toyota Highlander, LIMITED Version, AWD. Below is the problems:

1.) Since I change my Drive Shaft Head on the Passengers Side, FRONT, my vehicle has been showing on the Dashboard "ABS have your Toyota Dealer to check" and after a while it will disappear and again reappear occasionally. What do I do?

2.) When am on motion or on the road, If I match or press my Breaks to stop, the break pedals keep vibrating my legs and when I forcefully stop, it will vibrate and make some noise. I have change my break pads yet the problem continue. what do I do?

I will appreciate your kind suggestions as I have visited mechanics here and the mechanic said there was no problem with my break system but from experience I am very sure there is problem.

I look forward to your response.

Yours Sincerely MT. Aliyu

A: Since you recently did some work on the dri...

Since you recently did some work on the driveshaft, I would first suspect there was a problem as a result of the installation process. Before you begin taking the wheel off for inspection, I would connect a scanner to retrieve any codes. If there aren’t any codes in the system, then there won’t be much data to guide you to what might be wrong. What is left is a test drive, during which time I would expect the brake pedal to feel as you have stated under heavy braking conditions. What you would be feeling is the ABS system pulsating the brake pressure so the wheels don’t lock up. If the pedal is pulsating under normal braking conditions, then for some reason the system is activating too soon. In which case a technician would find this to be an obvious problem. If the technician didn’t experience this, then you probably have an intermittent condition. This makes things much more difficult to figure out.

In addition, if you are driving in slick conditions, the ABS activation at lower speeds would be normal as well. So what I am wondering and I can only answer in person, is this an intermittent condition or not? If it is, you will need a technician to spend much more time than usual to diagnose your car. Of course this can be very expensive. Unless this is making driving your car dangerous or difficult, I would suggest waiting until the symptom is reproducible for diagnosis.

As far as checking your work, if the wires inside the wheel speed sensor have been damaged from pulling on it with excessive force, you can have a variety of intermittent conditions. Also, if the sensor has been misaligned with the tone ring on the drive shaft, you can have some problems as well. If there is excessive metal dubris between the wheel speed sensor and the tone ring, this can cause problems as well.

There is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. I recommend booking an appointment with one of our experienced technicians to help you figure this out. Brake pedal is pulsating

Good luck!