Q: Can up use gear oil in place of brake fluid

asked by on February 10, 2017

Instead of brake fluid a bought a truck with gear oil is it ok to leave it of replace it

The brake system has rubber seals in it which are not compatible with mineral based oils of any kind. Introduction of these oils in to the master cylinder will cause the brake system seals to swell thus preventing normal operation of the brake system. DOT 3 or 4 glycol-based brake fluid is the only fluid that you can safely use in your brake system. If you desire that your brake system be flushed of contaminants, and checked for safe operation, please request a brake fluid flush and YourMechanic will dispatch a certified mechanic right to your location to get that taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.