Q: Can this engine be rebuilt?

asked by on February 28, 2017

Our 1998 Ford Escort (SOHC 2.O) engine dropped the exhaust valve seat in the #2 cylinder. In the process, the #2 piston was destroyed... all the metal has been beaten away by the connecting rod. (The piston skirt and wrist pin bosses are gone.) The cylinder bore appears to be OK visually. In addition to destroying the piston the rod is twisted several degrees but the wrist pin is still in place. A mechanic friend of a friend said he could rebuild it for $1000.00. Is this a realistic price and do you think the engine could be rebuilt considering the damage?

The rebuild could be reasonable as long as the mechanic is including the parts to the engine and not separate. I recommend getting a written statement or work order that states the amount of labor charge and the cost of parts. Do not have any work done on your engine without any form of paperwork that agrees the exact amount. A dealership will rebuild or replace the engine for 3 to 4 times the amount. If you need further assistance with determining what needs replaced in your engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.