Q: What precautions should be followed with the antilock brake system (ABS) system?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What precautions should be followed with the antilock brake system (ABS) system?

Your car’s anti-lock brake system is designed to help prevent you from locking up the wheels during hard stops, as that can cause you to go into an uncontrolled skid. The system activates during certain hard stops and pulses the brakes on any wheel that is turning faster than the others. However, there are some precautions that should be followed, as well as several important things that you should know:

• The ABS system doesn’t work well when you’re driving on any surface other than pavement (dirt, gravel, etc.).

• ABS doesn’t prevent you from hydroplaning.

• ABS doesn’t reduce the stopping distance. In some instances, it can increase the required stopping distance. Drive cautiously.

• Driving over potholes, uneven roads, driving with tire chains or cables and driving on snowy or icy roads can lead to less functionality from the ABS.