Q: Can't get my new cv axel to lock in place

I am replacing the front driverside cv axel and I can get it into the transmission but it will not lock in place. I looked into the trans and noticed that there is a pin that is in between the two cv axels. I am wondering if that is supposed to be there and if not how I can move it

You should first compare the shaft joint to the old one that came out. If it is the same then the small clip in the end of the axle shaft is not engaging the inside of the carrier due to the clip. You can compare it to the one on the other shaft and swap them and install the shaft. Sometime the clip get spread too big and will not let the axle go in all the way if it gets bent out of shape. The big pin you see inside is normal.