Q: Can I still drive my car with a partially shredded serpentine belt?

last night, part of my serpentine belt sheared off, about 1/4in. the rest is still intact. I need to get to a part store to get a replacement, so is it possible to drive a short distance?

A: Hi there. I would not drive the vehicle if ...

Hi there. I would not drive the vehicle if I were you until you have the serpentine belt replaced. If it's partially torn, it will continue to shred and may cause additional damage to the pulleys or other components it powers, so I would not take the risk.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to replace the serpentine belt and get your car back in full working order.