Q: Can rotors generally be turned once and not replaced? Especially if the pads are replaced before they are ruined 2013 Subaru Imprezza

Shouldn't 2013 Impreza brake rotors be able to be turned if they are not metal to metal? Guy is telling me rotors need to be replaced at 55k miles no matter what.

Hello - each car & driver combination is different - braking habits, driving conditions (city or off-road/dusty), etc. If the brake rotor faces are smooth, that is, not "groved" by dirt or other grit, and if the rotor is thinner than the minimum thickness (this measurement is cast into the rotor itself), a rotor can be used with new pads. It does take some miles for the new pads to shape themselves to ANY surface irregularities in the rotor - something that using new rotors avoids. Re-surfacing the rotors to eliminate grooves often leaves them thinner than the "minimum" thickness as well. Discuss these details with your mechanic. For a trusted 2nd opinion, I recommend a brake inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Can rotors generally be turned once and not replaced? Especially if the pads are replaced before they are ruined 2013 Subaru Imprezza