Q: Buying a 2016 Camry with the latest safety features

I'm thinking of buying my son a 2016 Camry with the latest safety features like lane departure and collision alert. Do you think that these two features are worth the two extra grand?

A: It depends on how old your son is. Both my ...

It depends on how old your son is. Both my sons wrecked the first cars that I gave them. So, if it’s the first car, yes, I would definitely get that stuff. Because, kids generally have the tendency to drive faster. But I don’t know your son and I don’t know his age. If he is an older guy, he might not need that stuff.

I personally wouldn’t spend that extra money. If they are comfortable driving, they really may not find it that useful. When I road test cars that I get from manufacturers, I often unplug all that correction control stuff and drive them around because it allows more freedom.

But, if you are into safety and you are worried, then you might as well pay for it. As long as you are not worried that he is going to take advantage of stuff like that and drive even crazier and get the car wrecked. Because they are not perfect systems, they won’t stop you from driving into a tree if you steer at a tree.