Q: Loud chatter at idle only

About 2 weeks ago a loud chatter started I checked my oil level and it was a quarter low, no biggie. I added the oil. Drove it home. Car has been parked since. Car has a slow drag when starting and has a loud chatter on idle only. Acceleration makes it stop. But it returns while I'm sitting at traffic lights. Could this be a timing chain issue?

We had the flexplate replaced one year ago also. It's not the same noise. That one was constant. Sounded like a loose bearing by the starter.

Hello, thanks for writing in. If the flexplate was changed within the last year, then I would usually start by isolating that area of the noise. This noise can occur if the bolts are coming loose. If they are fine then the next most common issue is the timing chain. I have seen a lot of these chains either stretch out or the guide fails. Before getting into that though I would change the oil as a dirty or poor quality oil filter will also cause this. If you want to have this chattering sound checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.