Q: broken timing belt cost

timing belt stripped or broke while driving under coasting load no extra noise engine just stopped noticed a no spark condition after towing home, trouble shot found distributor rotor not turning, accessed place to view belt, belt not moving when engine is turned over

A: Unfortunately Your Mechanic would not be ab...

Unfortunately Your Mechanic would not be able to supply a cost for timing belt replacement on this vehicle. The Nissan 3.0 ltr V6 is an interference engine. The valves and pistons occupy the same space. It is the function of the timing belt to make sure that the valves and pistons move in the proper time as to not occupy the same space at the same time. When the timing belt breaks, the crankshaft and pistons continue to spin due to inertia. The valves snap closed to to valve spring tension. This causes the pistons and valves to "crash" - or impact each other. This results in a number of bent valves and damaged pistons. Simply replacing the timing belt will not get the engine running properly as there is more than likely, mechanical damage to the engine internals.