Q: Brakes get locked briefly

asked by on July 27, 2016

I have an issue with the braking system in my car. When I'm driving and apply the brakes, it seems as if they get stuck for a couple of seconds and then work. This was fixed for a while after the flexible brake lines had been replaced. What can cause brakes to get locked like this? I'm concerned about safety while driving the car.

Hi there. Thanks for writing in about your 2003 Lexus SC430. Another brake component that may cause the brakes to stick are the front and rear calipers. The calipers are what presses the brake pads against the rotors. If the calipers fail, they will cause the brakes to lock up/stick. Calipers are the most common cause of brakes locking up.

If the master cylinder is faulty, this may cause the brakes to lock up/stick also. This happens when the valves of the master cylinder itself gets stuck or when it is worn out due to the passing of time. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your brakes, steering and suspension in order to properly diagnose your problem and recommend necessary repairs.