Q: Brake seizing in the rain.

asked by on October 02, 2016

When it's raining and I hit a puddle or there's a lot of water on the road, my brake light comes on and the brakes seize. I've noticed this last time that my air was on, so I turned it off to see if there were any noises, and the light shut off. I played around with the AC a couple times and the brakes kept acting up when I turned the air on (only in the rain ). I was hoping to get some insight before going to a mechanic.

Hello. Your AC should not have anything to do with your braking system. The brakes may very well tend to lock up at times in wet or slippery conditions as that is a function of the anti-lock braking system. Your car is equipped with wheel sensors on all of the wheels which monitor wheel speed and relay this info to the ABS system. When this senses that the car may be out of control or potentially in slippery conditions when wet, this will trigger the ABS system to engage which is normally the seizing feeling you are experiencing. An expert from YourMechanic can come to your home to diagnose your braking system so that this can be addressed properly.