Q: Brake lights are not working - 1999 Honda Accord

The 2 corner brake lights don't work but the one in the window does. They turn on when I lock and unlock my car. my blinkers, running lights and all the other lights work fine. I looked for a break fuse but couldn't find one and I checked to see if it was the bulbs but the New ones don't work either.

Your issues can stem from a few problems and further testing will be needed. You can trace the available voltage from the brake pedal to the brake light. The brake pedal has a brake light switch that will turn the brake lights on when they have been depressed a certain degree.

If you do not receive voltage when the switch is depressed, then the switch has failed and will need to be replaced. Due to having power at the CHMSL (center high mount stop lamp) when the brake pedal is pressed, the issue is more likely at the bulb end. Have you had any damage to the vehicle lately? You may have a short between the switch and the bulb. The most likely area in that case is at the bulb’s connector itself. The rest of the wires are hidden and typically secure. The brake light bulb connectors are more vulnerable to the elements and damage.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to perform an inspection on the brake lights and suggest any necessary repairs.