Q: Sputtering, misfiring, power loss and gain

My car has the 3.4L when it warms up it misfires power goes in and out and when you give it more than 1/4 throttle it acts like it either gets to much or not enough gas and when it hits overdrive it shutters. What could the problem be?

A: Hey there: There are usually two different...

Hey there:

There are usually two different mechanical problems that cause the symptoms you're describing with your Pontiac Firebird. The first and most common is a problem with the ignition coil, (especially in mid-90's GM V-6 engines) or due to problems with fuel injectors that are dirty or corroded with excess carbon buildup from the EGR system.

If the Check Engine Light has illuminated on the dashboard, a good bet would be to contact one of our local ASE certified mechanics who can download any error codes stored in the computer which will give them a good indication as to what's causing your engine misfire.