Q: I got a message stating "Starting disabled theft problem" and the car will not start.

My car is actually a Cadillac 2010 STS. I washed my car yesterday and when I went to start it wouldn't. I get the message of "Starting disabled theft problem". Could this just be an battery issue?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2011 BMW 335 xDrive. It could be a low voltage situation with the battery. It can also be the key itself or the ignition switch. If you have access to a volt / multi meter, check battery voltage across the positive and negative terminals. If it’s below 11V, the battery is weak. Once you eliminate that, try another key if you have one. If you don’t get the "starting disabled" message with the second key, then the chip in the first key is faulty and will require a new key. If the problem persists, then the ignition switch / lock cylinder may have to be replaced. If you need further help, a qualified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the no start for you.