Q: Brake fluid was recently bled/flushed and the brakes still feel like they are grinding

What should I look for now? My brake pads are good. I had those looked at a few weeks ago and I was told that they look like they are new. But when I come to a stop it feels as if something is grinding. Also I feel like they are not as "strong" as they need to be. As if they are spongy, if you will and when I test them every now and again and I try come to a sudden stop, its like it takes a while to come to a full stop instead of stopping abruptly like normal cars. I thought servicing the brake fluid would fix this and it has helped a tiny bit but I want the problem GONE. I've been researching online and I thought maybe to replace the Master Cylinder? Or maybe to completely replace all my brake lines and hoses and such? Or is it another part in the brake system that I should consider? I just want my brakes to feel normal once and for all. Could it maybe be a leak? I remember seeing large spots on the ground behind a few tires after its been sitting a while.

A: Good question and thank you for the details...

Good question and thank you for the details. I want going to go through some things you may want to check and hopefully save you some money. If you come across a problem in any of the areas you will need to fix the problem but do not stop there. Continue checking everywhere else to ensure all problems are fixed.

1. While the car is off pump the brakes until they are tight.
  2. Check the master cylinder to ensure it is full. If not, fill it.
  3. You may need to re-bleed your brakes. Sounds like there still may be a little air in the lines.
  4. Check your brake lines and see if you have a leak somewhere. I would start around the wheel well areas. My reason for this is because a lot of people will let the caliper hang instead of tying it up like they should. When I explain it as a leak, any wetness on the lines is a leak and dangerous for you to drive.
  5. Check to see if your master cylinder or your hydro-boost are wet.
  6. I know you were told that they look new but you need to see for yourself. Check for rust on your rotors though because this is a problem you may see if you live in an area where the use salt on the roads.

Note: if you have a bad power steering pump, your brakes may be affected by the bad power steering pump. The hydro-boost (hydraulic boost) connect the brakes and power steering. To know if you have a bad power steering you will hear a grinding sound under your hood while steering.

If you would like a professional technician to inspect your brake system, don't hesitate to contact one from YourMechanic.