Q: Why is my 2002 Ford Explorer not starting

i have been having trouble getting my 2002 explorer to fire. the engine cranks. I get spark and I just replaced a bad fuel filter. I know the fuel pump is still operable. im pretty sure it has something to do with the pats system. is there a way I can reset the pats system without having to get a new key made

If there is an engine light on and the parts were replaced, then you can remove the battery cables and reset the computer. This will clear the light and allow the engine to start up if there is no issues with the starting circuits. If the engine still will not start up but it cranks, then there could be an issue with the crankshaft position sensor or the fuel delivery is not getting to the fuel rail. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Hello. If you are getting spark and the engine is cranking then it is more than likely not the PATS system. I would also see if the anti theft light is coming on when cranking the engine. If it is not then that is not the issue. It sounds more like a fuel system issue. Though you may hear the pump coming on it does not mean that it is putting out the right pressure. If the pressure is low then the engine will not start. If the anti theft light is coming on then it is the PATS system and it will need to be reprogrammed and it may possibly need a new key. If you need some help with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why it will not start] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection

3. Why is my 2002 Ford Explorer not starting