Q: Bottom-end rattle between 1000-2000 RPMs on a 2000 Hyundai Accent

2000 Hyundai Accent. Has the bottom-end rattle that happens between first 1,000 and 2,000 RPMs. From my research on this, it is the big end bearings. Can I replace them by myself without taking the engine out?

Theoretically, you can but I wouldn’t advise it. When I was younger, when I was in my 20s, I tried that on an English sports car, and it was so much work and it took very long. In the end, the rust on the engine turned out to be on the shaft too. I got rid of that rattle but then there were other problems with the head that you better pull on the engine and rebuild.

Because there is not much working room in there, and if the big end bearings are gone, then pray that the crank itself isn’t worn. You can’t repair the crank while it’s sitting in the vehicle. You have to pull it out. You’d better take it all out and rebuild it correctly if you notice that problem. If you want to try it, give it a try just know that it will be a lot of work. If you would like a professional to take care of this for you, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to make this replacement for you.