Q: While driving, all lights in the car turned off, blinkers included. Then the gas went. Had to pull over. Car would not start again

asked by on December 25, 2017

While driving at night my speedometer, which is electric, turned off and went black. Then every light in the center console turned off. Seemed like the car was slowly turning itself off. The blinkers did not work either. I was not able to accelerate either. Slowly pulled car over and the car did not start up again after.

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.