Q: My a/c blows warm when switched to drive. What can cause this?

asked by on July 16, 2017

My a/c blows cold in park but when I put it in gear it blows hot.

Hello, thank you for writing in. There is a chance you may have a vacuum leak. You will need to check for them physically, or have a technician do so. Typically the vehicle has more power when at higher RPMs and the air conditioning works better. If you have a bad connection to the evaporator, compressor, or condenser the extra power needed by the engine in drive may be overruling the air conditioning. Only further inspection will tell. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Hi there. In most cases, an obstruction of dirty, debris or other materials on the AC condenser will cause this type of problem. However, a refrigerant leak, loose hose or pressure problem will also be the source of a malfunctioning AC system while the vehicle is in motion. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an AC is not working inspection to correctly isolate the source of this problem, so the right repairs can be made.