Q: Blowing cold air, overheating. Thermostat is new.

asked by on February 04, 2018

While driving, the heater began blowing out ice cold air and began to overheat . We instantly thought a thermostat, so we changed it. It continued to happen. Somebody is telling hubby it has to be the water pump. Instantly that sounded wrong. So I just googled the symptoms of a faulty one. The only thing in common is the overheating . But there are no noises or draining of fluids . What else could it possibly be?.. also, antifreeze is constantly topped up. The coolest has been bled, a lot.

You either have a bad water pump impeller is worn down and not pumping fluid or the radiator is clogged. I would recommend having the engine checked for a blown head gasket checking to see of combustion gas is getting into cooling system using a tester for this purpose. If no combustion gases getting into the engine cooling system then you should have the water pump replaced and radiator flushed.