Q: I am having a chirp/squeak sound coming from my rear end

I have a 2006 f150 and am having a squeak/chirping sound from my rear end it sounds like. It takes about 5 minutes of driving for it to start and squeaks when I hit bumps. Possible causes?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. If the proble...

Hello, thanks for writing in. If the problem occurs as the wheels are spinning then it typically means that something is rubbing. Most of the time this comes from the braking system. It is common for the rear brakes to be worn out and cause this or for the rear parking brake shoes to come loose and cause this also. I always check these first after listening to the noise. If the brakes are fine then it may be an axle bearing, the differential or an issue with a u-joint. If the issue only occurs when going over bumps then it may be a bad shock or an issue with the leaf springs rubbing due to wear or missing spring pads. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect this noise issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.