Q: Battery gauge drops to 9 after driving.

I got a new battery in the summer of 2016. But yesterday my check gauges light lit up and my batter gauge dropped to 9 after I turned it on. Today, upon turning it on the gauge goes to the notch between 14 and 9 but falls to 9 after driving around 10-15 seconds. I'm not sure what is wrong and how to correct it. I'm trying to learn but if it's something that only a mechanic can fix I'm okay with that. Thank you for you're help and I look forward to you're answer about what is wrong and you're suggestions

Hi There, If your battery gauge is fluctuating as you describe, this may be a sign of a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

3. Battery gauge drops to 9 after driving.