Q: Belt/cooling

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty. As soon as I turn it on the temp gauge goes right to the middle. Also the belt by the radiator (not sure the name lol) starts to make a noise, the noise quiets down as I start to drive but once I stop I can hear it again. Any ideas? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance!

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2004 Jeep Liberty. I would be slightly worried about the temperature gauge. If the gauge shoots to that spot even before the engine warms up, then there is an issue. Most of the time this is a short in the temperature sensor. When the sensor fails this will occur. It can also be an issue with the gauge or the wiring, but most of the time it is the sensor. As for the noise it can come from any of the engine accessories. Most of the time this comes from the AC compressor. I usually take off the belt and spin each pulley by hand to locate the noise. If you need some help with this, consider having a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to diagnose this and replace the AC compressor if necessary.