Q: Battery having trouble holding charge

I got a new battery less than a year ago and it has been showing signs of having trouble holding a charge over the last few weeks. Last night after driving it a couple hours earlier, when I turned the key I got no power whatsoever, just the clicking noise. So I jumped it and left the car running for awhile in hope that it would charge the battery, but this morning when I went to start the car it was completely dead again. Any idea what is wrong? Is this a problem that could be potentially be fixed by going to an auto parts shop or would I need to make an appointment with a mechanic?

Hi, thanks for writing in. A battery is supposed to last for three to four years in most cases. Some of the causes of premature battery wear may include a broken alternator, damaged battery terminals, or battery temperature sensors. Before heading to an auto parts store, you should contact one of our local mechanics to inspect the source of your battery draining issue. This way, the precise problem can be determined; hopefully finding the root source and fixing the problem affordably. We can also perform replacements for you if that is needed.