Q: Battery died brakes locked up

asked by on February 20, 2018

My battery died and I tried to put it in neutral to push it out of my driveway to jump it and it seems like my brakes are locked up

This vehicle is equipped with vacuum assisted power brakes. When the engine is off, government regulations state that there must be enough vacuum in reserve to enable the brake pedal to be pushed down at least two to three more times after the engine has been shut off. This aids in stopping when the engine dies unexpectedly when going at higher speeds. It is possible that the vacuum had been depleted from the vacuum booster therefore causing the brake pedal to harden up. When the engine is restarted, it is very likely that the brakes will function properly again.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr