Q: clutch feeling softer

asked by on August 06, 2016

hi good morning! so i was just wondering if it is normal for a clutch start to feel softer like easier to depress and grabbing sooner. it goes into gears good and does not slip. it actually feels smoother

Hello! This can depend on a variety of factors, but specifically, your driving style can cause this.

If you tend to drive harder than normal - meaning you tend to transfer a lot of power through the clutch by releasing it at high RPM’s - this can cause a slight change in adjustment.

Depending on your specific model of Subaru, it may or may not have what is called a "self adjusting clutch", which will adjust the clutch "grab" as the clutch metals wear down. Depending on how severe this is, you may notice a slight change in the adjustment as you depress and release the clutch pedal.