Q: Bad window motors on power windows

I am very unhappy with the quality of parts on the interior of my 2006 Subaru Forester. The window motors keep burning out on me and I have now replaced the driver’s side window motor and the passenger side motor. The new motor on the passenger side stopped working. What can I do to fix this for good? I am at 85,000 miles and I do not want this problem to keep going on forever. Is it an electrical problem?

Hello! Thank you for writing in about this problem. Unfortunately, this sounds like a design flaw in the window regulator, motor, or gearing and is not likely an electrical problem. Upon installation, the tracks of the regulator and the gears should be lubricated. If the vehicle is in a particularly dry climate, the weatherstripping can dry out and cause resistance when the window is raised or lowered. A good silicone spray lubricant periodically applied to the window tracks can help extend window motor and/or regulator life. You can always schedule an appointment to fix your window with a top-rated professional from YourMechanic for a more thorough diagnoses.