Q: Bad steering system in my car, didn’t pass inspection

asked by on November 02, 2015

Because of the noisy steering in my 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, it did not pass inspection. I understand their reasoning, but I am not happy with that. The repair was pretty expensive and it’s disappointing to do major repairs to the steering components on a car with only 86,000 miles. The last rack and pinion started getting clunky around 78,000 miles. What can I do to make these new parts last longer before wearing out?

Brakes, Steering and Suspension Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There is nothing that an owner of a 2009 Chevy Traverse, or most GM vehicles from 2007 thru 2011 that are equipped with this design power steering pumps/Rack and Pinions, can do to prevent these failures. Chevrolet has known about the whining, moaning, clunking, binding, and leaks from the steering systems of these car for a long time, but did not take responsibility until years of complaints and safety concerns. They did finally provide a partial warranty extension on the power steering pump wear on cases where intermittent drops of hydraulic pressure led to reduced or no steering assistance. This is a special coverage (10 years or 150,000 miles from the original date in service, whichever comes first, regardless of ownership), so you would need to contact a Chevrolet dealer with your vin# to confirm that your vehicle is covered. Chevrolet will not cover any rack and pinion repairs, so it is recommended that you have YourMechanic come to you to diagnose your vehicle’s steering system to determine the exact cause of the problem before going to the dealer.