Q: Car doesn't want to stop when brakes are pressed, has an odor, and feels like it wants to power off on me.

I first noticed there was a problem when I was on my way to work and suddenly my car didnt want to go over 45 mph when I pressed the gas to go faster but the rpm was moving as if it was going the speed I wanted to and started making a noice like a diesel truck makes when the gas is pressed. Then as I pressed the gas again to go faster it jerked and then went the speed I was trying to go I got home safe but did not dive it again til a week later I had to move it because our apartment was going to fix the parking lot so all the cars needed to be parked somewhere else or they would tow your car. So I turned it on and I could immediatly smell a burning odor coming from the car but no lights came on like service engine, oil, etc. so I decided to still move it to the next parking lot only a few feet away as soon as I backed up and pressed the brakes to change gear to drive the car did not want to stop then once I parked it i could smell the odor still.

Hello.

From what you describe it would appear that some sort of serious issue may have occurred that is greatly affecting engine performance. A few common reasons why a car would not want to go over 45 mph is due to problems with the fuel, ignition, or engine management systems. Smoke from the engine is usually a result of fluid leaks. It may be possible that oil, power steering, or even brake fluid are leaking and have made contact with a hot engine component, producing smoke. You mention that the car did not want to stop, or had trouble stopping - this could be related to the smoke if there is a brake fluid leak present. I would recommend having a professional technician look at the vehicle, as the possibilities could be many.

Regards,

Eduardo YourMechanic

• Car doesn't want to stop when brakes are pressed, has an odor, and feels like it wants to power off on me.