Q: Bad clutch in my truck

I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with a manual transmission. I was happy up until around 105,000 miles, when the clutch began slipping. Now, I am very careful with the clutch in this truck and have been driving a manual trans for more than three decades now. I am worried that little repairs are going to pop up all the time now with this thing. Very disappointing. How long does a full clutch replacement take?

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question. This generation of Tacoma has an adjustable clutch pedal assembly. As outlined in the Tacoma service manual, if the assembly is out-of-adjustment, it could cause slipping. A local mechanic (like those with YourMechanic) can inspect and diagnose the entire clutch system (hydraulic and mechanical) to narrow down the potential problems. Typically, a clutch/pressure plate replacement will run 5-8 hours of labor. It’s generally a good idea to replace or resurface the flywheel, check the condition of the slave cylinder, throw-out bearing, and rear main seal during clutch replacement.

3. Bad clutch in my truck