Q: Dash lights came on and gauges dropped to zero

asked by on August 08, 2016

When driving, occasionally all the dash lights will come on, but the gauges like gas, battery, and mileage, will all drop down to zero. Then my radio shuts off. Fortunately, the car keeps driving. All of this happened today, at a busy intersection, right before a stop light. When I full stopped, I turned the car off and then tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn’t restart. I then turned on the hazard lights and after around 5-10 minutes, my SUV started. It performed very well after that. Since then I’ve turned the car off and back on two different times and it seems okay. In your professional experience, what caused all of that to happen?

Ignition Switch Replacement $160.91 - $807.33 Get a Quote
Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT. First, I would suspect a faulty ignition switch, and would put that near the top of my diagnostic checklist. I also recommend a thorough visual inspection, testing of the battery and its cable connections (clean and tight), and using a scan tool check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) to see if there are any other issues with the starting system. If you need help having all of this checked, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to determine why your dashboard warning lights are simultaneously coming on and can perform needed repairs.