Q: Bad battery, compression clutch, and loose bearing. 2000 Saturn LS

When my car did not start, I decided it was not the battery since the lights would come on and the locks went quickly up and down. However, the car just would not turn over. Had it picked up and the mechanic told me the battery was bad and there was also a problem with the compression clutch. Also, he reported there was a bearing loose and if it were to break, the whole car would shut down. I discussed this with a friend and he agreed with the diagnosis, but said that I could get a smaller belt for the same model Saturn without an air conditioner and just route the belt excluding the pulley. Is this possible and if so, is it smart to do this or should I go ahead with the new part replacement?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2000 Saturn LS. This sounds like you have a short somewhere in the electrical system. I would start by testing the power supply to each of the various components or first try disconnecting the alarm system to see if the same problem still persists. The compressor clutch, which helps to operate the AC, is likely not related to your electrical issue. I would recommend having the proper bearing replaced and the correct belt put back in. If you need further help with this, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the no start and verify what repairs will be needed.

3. Bad battery, compression clutch, and loose bearing. 2000 Saturn LS