Q: Automatic transmission issues, high RPM at low speeds

Recently, I've been having transmission issue with my car. It is an automatic and shifting is very hard. It doesn't seem to shift over second gear. It occasionally shifts into third gear within a mile of driving, but after that, it cannot shift over second gear. Also, when this issue starts happening, even though I am driving at very low speeds from 25-35 mph, the RPM increases to around 2800. When I attempt to accelerate, it cannot go over second gear. There is also a problem while downshifting from second to first gear. Shifting from first to second gear is smooth though. Is my transmission going out? What should I do?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in about your 200...

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 2000 Chrysler Cirrus. The transmission control module would need to be scanned to see if the codes stored may indicate the shifting problem you are having. You may have an internal shift solenoid problem causing the shift problem. A speed sensor for the transmission may also cause the transmission not to go past second gear. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your shifting issue and high RPM problem in person in order to have the correct repairs made.