Q: Automatic transmission isn’t working right and I don’t know the problem

I have been having issues with the automatic transmission in my 2007 Ford Edge since around 30,000 miles in. I've had the PTU serviced before when the transmission wasn’t shifting. Now, at 75,000 miles, the problem I am having is like a loud humming/rumbling coming from the engine/transmission area. The shifting seems to sort of lag as well. Could this be the PTU again?

It would help to further pinpoint the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) problem with knowledge of what your previous issues were at 30,000 miles and if they were similar to what you are experiencing now. It is also noteworthy that your mileage is roughly twice what is was when your previous problem occurred. Although not definite, it could be indicative of the same reoccurring issue. That being said, it is a common occurrence in the Ford Edge for the PTU seals to fail, allowing oil to leak out. Once the oil is too low, it can cause a humming or whining noise to occur because of improper lubrication of the gears, as well as possible shifting problems. If this has occurred, replacement of the PTU will be necessary since no internal parts are serviceable. To verify the status of your seals and oil level, I suggest contacting a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic.

• Automatic transmission isn’t working right and I don’t know the problem