Q: Automatic rear hatch not latching.

The rear hatch will come down when the close button is pushed, but it will not latch.

Hi, this comes up often on this vehicle. Mercedes has a technical bulletin for it since it is so common. The most common cause of it is from a programming issue with the rear SAM. This is a module that controls this system. In most cases it can be reprogrammed by the dealer and that will take care of it. There are also issues with the rear SAM failing internally and/or the rear safety release binding up keeping the latch from working. You can inspect the latch release to see if it is caught or seems to be binding, but if that looks fine you would need to have the dealer check this as they are typically the only ones with the right equipment to program the SAM.