Q: Are there computer checks that need to be done after installing a new battery?

I'm under the impression systems need to be checked to be sure all is well after installing and connecting a new battery. If so, I'm wondering what is checked and the cost?

Stored data in the vehicle’s PCM, some of which represents "learned" data that optimizes the operation of the vehicle’s powertrain, will be lost when you disconnect the battery. This data cannot be re-established by any subsequent computer "check" or download. Consequently, when changing the battery on newer computer controlled cars, it is recommended that you install a back-up battery tender that powers the vehicle PCM while you are changing out the battery. Your will also lose your radio presets and you may need to enter a security code to get your radio to work again. Check for this code in your owners manual. If you have not used a battery tender, the lost data that your car has used to optimize the powertrain will be re-acquired by the vehicle’s PCM but while this process is occurring, you may experience some alteration in vehicle driving dynamics. No further checks or verifications are required unless you experience malfunctions with the car. After installing a new battery, charging system output should always be verified against factory specifications. To have charging system output verified, please request an alternator inspection and the responding certified mechanic from YourMechanic will check that for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Are there computer checks that need to be done after installing a new battery?