Q: Annoying noise when I set the AC

I own a 2011 Ford F-150 3.2L V6, automatic transmission, with 58k miles. Earlier this week while I was driving on the highway, I attempted to turn the A/C to its coolest setting by turning the knob all the way to the end of the blue (cool) side. A clicking noise came on and wouldn't stop until I rotated the knob back into the red (warm) range of the control. The noise doesn't occur unless the knob is rotated completely to the cold side. This is annoying and embarrassing with other people in the car since sometimes I want to run the A/C on its coolest setting and its uncomfortable otherwise. Help, please.

It sound to me you are have an issue with the temperature electronic blend door actuator that controls the temperature coming out of the vents of your A/C. To properly diagnose this, YourMechanic would have to scan your truck’s computer system to see if you have what we call body codes that pertain to the body computer and components of this system. If codes are present then a pinpoint test will narrow the source of the problem to a component that is causing your clicking issue. This problem is most likely the actuator mentioned earlier. You want to check that the actuator has actually failed since it is costly to replace. The actuators location, if you have only one temperature control knob, is in the dash behind the radio, on top of the A/C evaporator case. If you have dual temperature control then there are two actuators. The one for the left side is behind the dash, and the one for right side is behind the radio. This is common to a lot of automobiles and not just Ford. These actuators all are similar in design and have similar failures.

3. Annoying noise when I set the AC