Q: Alternator wiring

My question is I am rewiring my entire jeep i have two wires in my alternator a red and a single strand brown where does the single strand brown wire go from the alternator to?

Hey there. A Jeep Wrangler of your year has several wiring diagrams online if you are interested in finding a picture. The brown wire is essentially known the resistance wire. It helps in the communication between the computer and the alternator. It helps regulate the power coming in and out of it and will lower the voltage if needed. The brown wire will run to a type of "fusible link" which is designed to blow if a serious electrical surge passes through. This is a safety measure. On the other side of the fusible link would have been a tan wire, that then connects to a yellow wire. This entire set up runs to the ignition switch. You will need this connection for the system to work correctly. A certified technician from YourMechanic can assist you with your wiring issue if you need further help.

3. Alternator wiring