Q: Alternator is overheating...had it tested and was told everything looked good. What would cause this problem?

asked by on June 07, 2017

Alternator is overheating...I got it tested and was told the problem wasn't the alternator. No power at all.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The charging system is rather simple including the alternator, battery, and the cables. If you have tested the alternator off of the vehicle, there may be another component in the system that is causing your problems. You will want to test the battery, and the wires between them. Both the battery and the cables can cause excess resistance, which is associated with electrical systems heating up. This is, for example, how cigarette lighters work in vehicles. Resistance can be tested easily with a multi-meter, but an understanding of electrical systems helps a lot. For more help with this testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.