Q: Air Conditioner Failure

My air conditioner had been working on and off for a long time. It would usually work for at least 10-15 minutes after I started the car, sometimes up to 2 hours, and then it would stop working. As I continued driving, it might start working again after an hour or so. I used a recharge kit and checked the pressure; added some coolant, and it seemed to work better for a little while, but it was still intermittent. I recently took a long road trip, and it seemed to be working great at the beginning; stayed on for about two hours. Then it died completely and hasn't worked since. Also, the indicator light does not go on when I push the button to turn on the AC. So I'm wondering if this could be something electrical? Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

A: It sounds like you have a system that is or...

It sounds like you have a system that is or has been getting low on Freon for some time now. This can mean the oil in the system that lubricates was also being depleted when it was working but leaking. The system may have had a compressor failure alongside of the leaks now. The condenser and evaporator components are prone to leaks as well. The compressor can leak at the front seal. I recommend having the system tested for leaks and operation by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic. Good luck.