Q: Where is the solenoid shift in a Toyota Camry?

asked by on November 15, 2016

My car has been slipping from 10 to 20 mph and then drives good today my engine light come on and I got it check says I need a silnoid shift . Do you know where that's located in a 2001 Toyota camery ?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If you are referring to a shift solenoid, that component is located within the transmission in a transmission "assembly" known as the "valve body." Failures of shift solenoids are not unusual, however, the Diagnostic Trouble Code that has identified this component also refers to other causes such as faulty wiring, bad ground, low transmission fluid level and so forth. In other words, although it’s possible you have a bad solenoid, the code itself is NOT a conclusive "diagnostic" that you can rely on to just go out and buy a part. Codes are simply used by mechanics as important clues as to what the problem might be, or the general area of the problem, and are NEVER used, alone, as a basis to go out and buy a part.

So, the bottom line is a competent professional has to take the code that is being reported and perform a Diagnostic and then explain to you what he or she has found and WHY they will be doing the proposed repair. Solenoids can be replaced without removing the transmission but it does require removing some very sensitive parts of the transmission and it has to be done carefully. Check your transmission fluid level carefully first. If the fluid is too low, or too high, the transmission won’t shift properly. If you would like a second opinion and a diagnostic from a certified YourMechanic specialist, by all means please contact us.