Q: After starting SUV, 4 indicator lights come on

asked by on July 22, 2016

Earlier this week, I started my SUV and 4 indicator lights came on. They were: Check Engine, Slip Indicator, VSC Trac, and VSC Off. There was not any noticeable change in how the SUV was driving and the 4-wheel drive was still working.

After removing the negative cable from the battery, the indicator lights went off and have NOT come back on.

Should I wait before taking it to the mechanic shop to see if it happens again?

Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement $173.36 - $767.03 Get a Quote
Oxygen Sensor Replacement $108.80 - $905.23 Get a Quote
Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There are several reasons that this could happen. A system voltage dip or spike can cause all of these systems to illuminate their indicators or a fault that compromises the drivability of the engine such a mass airflow or oxygen sensor.

If the condition was caused by a voltage, then it may have been an anomaly and may not return. However, if it were caused by a drivability fault severe enough to affect all of these systems, then chances are this event will repeat itself and with increasing frequency over time.

The fault codes from the various systems should be read out as hard engine faults should have stored the event. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist in the retrieval and interpretation of engine and system warning lights.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr