Q: Drum brakes not working

I have a 1968 Buick Electra with drum brakes. The car doesn't want to stop when I press the brake pedal, but the brakes don't make any squeaking sound like they do when they are bad. I probably need them replaced, and maybe even the master cylinder, but I am unsure at this time.

Hi. On older vehicles such as yours brakes are crucial due to the mass of the car. Drum brakes are known to last longer than disc brakes but do not hold the same stopping power and cooling ability. Wheel cycling ears and master cylinders are a big cause of brake power loss. It is quite possible can be that you should look into getting the brakes changed. I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect your brake system to see what repairs needs to be completed.