Q: After multiple replacement parts, car won't start - 1994 Acura Vigor

After changing the valve cover gasket, now my car won’t start. This is what happened: I was on my way to a store and I stopped to check my mailbox. I had lowered the driver’s window, but it would not raise back up. After that, while on the interstate, the car broke down and I had to have it towed back to my house. When I checked it, there was oil in the spark plug tubes. I purchased a gasket kit, put it on and got all the oil out of the tubes. Plus, I did an oil change. After replacing the spark plugs, I tried to start my car and it did turn over, but would not start. I broke off one of the valve cover bolts by tightening it too tight, but I covered the hole and then put two ground wires bolted separately on the valve cover together. Both of them have a wire connecting them. I saw that the the plugs were clean with no oil on them, when I pulled all of them. Also, I could smell gas and I know it is not a fuel problem.

After that I checked the spark. None of them had spark. So I replaced the wires and that did not work either. Recently I had fixed the distributor leak, so that is probably not the problem either. There was no spark from the coil either. I purchased a new ignition coil, installed it, but still no success. In addition to all of this, it had started to drain my battery until the battery was bad. I installed another battery and now this new one is also being drained. With a full charge and jump-starting, the car barely turns over. The starter clicks, then clicks very quickly. I also recently replaced the solenoid, so the starter should not have gone bad this soon, especially when working well before I changed the spark plug tube seals and the VC gasket. I grounded the two grounds separately from the valve cover onto the heat shield, next to the battery. I just do not know what else could be causing there to be no spark. What is your professional advice for what I need to do next to repair my car?

There may be an engine position sensor that has failed like a crankshaft position sensor or a cam position sensor inside the distributor. If the computer cannot tell where the engine is in its rotation or how fast its spinning, it will not deliver spark.

3. After multiple replacement parts, car won't start - 1994 Acura Vigor