Q: Advice on which weight of oil to use

Hello. I need some advice related to the oil weight I should use for my car model and mileage. My car has gone around 150,000 miles and has a 3.5 L engine. I had my oil changed at the dealership for Chevy. They told me that the oil weight I am supposed to use is 10w-30. However, due to the fact that modern cars use 5w-30, they don't have the heavier weight oil anymore. I drive mostly shorter distances with occasional longer trips. Should I continue to use 5w-30 or use heavier oil for this particular model? Thanks.

Your car calls for 10w30 oil. The 10w is the winter grade that is blended with the 30 weight oil. The oil 5w30 will be a good replacement and should be compatible with your car. I would not go to a heaver weight oil or engine damage may happen since the thicker oil may not make it to lubricate all the tight parts like the thinner oil can.